What is Cupping Therapy?
Cupping Therapy is an ancient medical treatment. It is cited in one of the oldest medical textbooks Ebers Papyrus from 1550 BC. However, it has recently gained popularity from celebrities like Jennifer Aniston and athlete Michael Phelps. The therapy has evolved in today’s use of easing musculoskeletal injuries and pain relief. The cup’s suction on the skin may help promote healing and blood flow in the area.
How Cupping Treatment works?
During Cupping Treatment the clinician heats the cup’s internal air, which removes some of the air volume. The Cupping Therapy cups can be made of glass, bamboo, or silicone.
The cup is then placed on the patient’s skin and builds a suction vacuum, this pulls a slight area of skin inside the cup. The cup remains for a few minutes.
What can Cupping Therapy help?
Cupping treatments may stimulate blood flow, healing responses, immune systems, and muscle tension release. Cupping Therapy may assists with a variety of health benefits and may help in various conditions and problems:
- Reduce chronic pain
- Cervical spondylosis
- Facial paralysis
- Muscle inflammation
- Lumbar disc herniation
- Cough and dyspnea
- Musculoskeletal strains and sprains
What are the side effects of Cupping?
The most common side effect of Cupping Therapy is the slight circular discolouration due to the suction on the skin. These should fade over the following days and appear only on the treated areas. Please talk to your clinician before treatment if you are worried about this.
- Osteopathy with Dr. Sami Karam, Senior Osteopath or Dr. Robert Korac
- Chiropractic with Dr. Fadi Habanbou, Chiropractor, or Dr. Guy Finch, Chiropractor
- Massage Therapy with Daniel Salameh, Remedial Therapist and Adam Rizk Sports & Remedial Massage Therapist
- Physiotherapy with Elizabeth Saad. Physiotherapist
- You may also be interested in Cupping Therapy or Dry Needling
If you want to have a chat about your condition, call us today on:
- Parramatta: 02 9890 5844
- Peakhurst: 02 9584 9364
- Click here to contact us.